Wrongful Death Against Monster Energy Drinks ~ OPOLAW Injury Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wrongful Death Against Monster Energy Drinks

A wrongful death complaint has been filed by Wendy Crossland and Richard Fournier after their 14-year old daughter, Anais Fournier, died after drinking two 24-ounce Monster Energy Drinks in 24 hours. “The opinion of the Maryland medical examiner's office is that Fournier died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity that impeded her heart's ability to pump blood. The autopsy report also concluded that Fournier suffered from Ehlers-Danlos syndrome -- an inherited disorder that can make connective tissues, like skin and blood vessel walls, flexible and weak.” Anais had been put into an induced coma at Johns Hopkins Hospital in an attempt to reduce brain swelling, but after several days, “the decision was made to terminate life support,” the complaint said. "Monster does not believe that its beverages are in any way responsible for the death of Ms. Fournier," Evan Pondel, a spokesman for the company, said in a statement on Friday. Fournier’s parents in addition to the wrongful death suit, are also arguing that Monster failed to warn of their beverage’s potential dangers and that the drinks are “unreasonably dangerous and defective.”

No comments:

Post a Comment