$11.5 Million Awarded to Woman Who Lost Unborn Baby Due to Negligence ~ OPOLAW Injury Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

$11.5 Million Awarded to Woman Who Lost Unborn Baby Due to Negligence

$11.5 million has been awarded to Sabine Miller, 30, who lost her unborn baby and her small intestine due to negligence by staff at Edward Hospital in Naperville. Miller had been taken to the hospital on the night of Nov. 30, 2004, with abdominal pains. She was 14 weeks pregnant at the time and admitted to the postpartum unit, where nurses failed to monitor her deteriorating condition and that of her unborn baby, attorney Robert Strelecky said. When Miller was 4 years old she had suffered a twisted intestine and had told medical personnel of this prior condition.

Several hours had gone by and Miller had lost consciousness before medical personnel moved her to the intensive care unit. By then, her small intestine was beyond saving and her baby was dead, Strelecky said. Miller had a small intestine transplant months later at Northwestern Memorial Hospital but is expected to face severe medical challenges for the rest of her life, including a number of risk factors if she were to try to get pregnant again, her attorney said.

No comments:

Post a Comment