Reebok Fined for Dangerous Product ~ OPOLAW Injury Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Reebok Fined for Dangerous Product

Failing to abide by the Federal Hazardous Substances Act, the Government hit Reebok with a $1 million fine. The fine stems from a silver charm attached to a bracelet Reebok included with some shoes. The charm was filled with lead. Two years ago, Jarnell Brown from Minneapolis died after he accidentally swallowed the charm. The Consumer Product Safety Commission said the fine sends a message to companies that the U.S. will not allow them to import products that are not tested and that may be dangerous to children. Reebok agreed to pay this fine Tuesday but denied it violated any federal law. That's because there is no regulation on how much lead is allowed in kids products. It's something the CPSC is trying to change but it will take years to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment