Landlord Charged with Neglect ~ OPOLAW Injury Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Landlord Charged with Neglect

A judge in Urbana, Illinois has charged a landlord with neglect after one of his residents died of carbon monoxide poisoning (03NOV06) Otha Lee Harmon died almost four years ago after the faulty furnace in his rental home caused his death. Champaign County judge Heidi Ladd held landlord J.W. Pirtle criminally responsible for neglecting the furnace in Harmon's basement and found him guilty of criminal housing management. Judge Ladd said, "He knew there was a problem and he did nothing. The people in that house were literally caught up in a death trap."

No comments:

Post a Comment